Just the Beginning

Welcome to my kitchen.... and thus, my head.
This blog is about using music as a muse for kitchen concoctions. Singing in the shower is old news. Belting into a spatula (or a head of broccoli) is the new thing, and I want you to catch the fever.
Do you like food?
Do you like music?
There you go. (Fan base achieved!)
While I will be posting my play lists for each recipe, feel free to rock to your own beat if my tunes just don't do it for you. My cooking is experimental and my music taste changes with my moods. I'm simply trying to translate my kitchen serenades to tangible recipes.
While I would love to use always fresh picked produce from my yard, and raw organic milks and meats, my backyard is still a dirt pit (work in progress) and I don't always have to money to be a healthy organic snob. We're a real family with real life hardships and sometimes, yes, I even have to shop at the local dollar store for groceries. This blog will encompass all of life's realness into great food. Sometimes my best recipes have been created when we hardly had anything in the cupboard and I really had to be inventive. Not all of my recipes are quick, easy, super healthy, or contain meat. I'm all over the place. But there is one promise, there will be something for everyone, and the door (or, comment section) is always open to suggestions.
So let's get on with it! People, gather your audio equipment, and head to the hearth..... it's time to start cooking.

What I'm Diggin Right Now


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Homesteading is Serious Business

So I've been reading a lot about making my own bread. Motherearthnews.com has a great link on making no knead dough that you can keep in your fridge and just tear off portions everyday for a fresh loaf of home baked bread every day.
Let me tell you, I love to cook, but I am terrified of baking. I read that article over and over and over... it kept eating at me. And after a month of rereading the article, I finally came to the breaking point.

Screw it, I'm going to try the bread thing.

Let me just say, I really don't like having to buy things from the store. If I could have a farm, and an orchard, I would be in udder paradise. Really.

I went out and bought a beautiful oven stone. I went and found Vital wheat gluten. I very cautiously made my first batch of dough. I let it sit. And I started the oven. 4o minutes later, not only did my house smell amazing, but I had the most amazing loaf of free form artisan bread. More than that, I had a loaf of pride and accomplishment, riddled with tears of joy. Seriously. The bread made me cry.

Well, the bread event opened up a whole can of worms. I have been wanting to make my own butter for a while- and now that I have accomplished what seems to be an impossible chemistry experiment that is named bread- I feel like I should be doing more. I spent all night after that typing in, "how to make..." into the google search bar- followed by ketchup, mayo, mustard, cheese, etc. I was laying in bed until 3 am pondering the possibilities of home-made goodness. I had dreams of canning sauces and stocked cabinets and self sufficiency.

I have to say that my mind was blown away at the easiness of creating condiments. I almost felt hurt that I have wasting money on chemically processed foods that no one told me I could make at home.

So I'm going to start creating many things, and I'm taking you all with me on the journey. It's a whole new level now. Bigger than dinners and music. Soon enough, the only thing I will have to buy from the store is flours and oils... oh and coffee.... Everything else is going to be purchased from local(ish) farms and orchards. My fridge will be packed with things that have come from my own hands. I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment